History

Braxton County is the geographical center of the State of West Virginia and was formed in 1863.

Sutton High School, circa 1930.  Photograph: Thomas Hyer Swisher.  Thomas Hyer Swisher Collection

Sutton High School, circa 1930. Photograph: Thomas
Hyer Swisher. Thomas Hyer Swisher Collection

Sutton is the county seat and the original courthouse built in the 1800s still serves the public today.  The earliest schools in Braxton County started around 1823 and were made of hand hewn timbers with split logs seats.  Spelling, Reading, Arithmetic, and the Bible were the key subjects. Today, Braxton County Schools consist of Braxton High School, Braxton Middle, and six elementary schools including Sutton Elementary School.  Our school serves approximately 250 students each year.  The original school was a large four story brick building which served as Sutton High School.  Later, a new high school was constructed nearby and the brick building became an elementary school.

braxton1200ap_huge A small grey building was added to house the younger children. Several years ago the brick building was torn down and our school was renovated to include the following classes and services: Three Year Old Preschool Special Needs Class, Preschool, Kindergarten through Sixth Grade students, Occupational Theory, Speech, Guidance Counselors, Health Services, Physical Education/Health, Gifted, Library, Computer Labs, Art, Music, Band and Chorus.  Plus we are the county center for the Severe and Profound Special Needs students.